Saturday, May 31, 2014

Internship

Just concluded the third week of internship. I feel like I've been in the company forever. It is kind of draggy. That aside, I would say that some aspects of my internship is indeed fun.

I know very clearly which parts of the job I like, and which I don't. I guess my favourite part would be to physically head down to schools and see overview programmes' implementations. Totally eye-opening, enriching, inspiring. Some moments, I get so motivated to become an educator, although I know it'll be insanely difficult. It's so important to make a difference, and I can see how every small action or word can impact a student. Seeing positive feedback and seeing happy faces makes me feel like we need more of these fun learning opportunities for children.

I also see the cracks that exist in our system, and the people who fall through those cracks. Someone needs to pull them up, mend the cracks, push them onto the right path. I do respect teachers who respect their profession, who respect their students and take pride in their jobs. I've seen many teachers teach for the sake of doing it, like there's no other choice for them. It's pretty disheartening. But I've also seen great teachers who have drive. & you could tell with one glance. I wish there are more great teachers out there. Good teachers make a huge impact, but bad teachers often don't realise how they can ruin a child's life.

I've also seen the disparity between neighbourhood schools and elite schools. It's so glaringly apparent it hurts. This week I got to visit one neighbourhood school, followed by an elite school, back to back. Both institutes aim to educate, but the teachers are so different, the students are so different. Everything is so different. & it made me feel sad that often, we can't escape the influence of affluence.

That, is the hard truth, staring right back at me.

It's ironic that I, who can find no drive in studying, am saying all these things. I guess to me, results don't mean the whole world. But I do know that some day, I want to make a difference to people's lives.

Speaking of results, I didn't fare too well this semester, as of many previous semesters. I just hope I can keep things this way. No intentions of pulling my class up - it's near impossible. I'll just the remaining 2 years of my uni life studying sufficiently, and developing more in other areas. Afterall, academics are not everything, no?

No comments: